- 170520 - Material Handler I
- $10 to $11.00 DOE
- 4 Months
- Chipton-Ross is seeking a Material Handler I for an opening in Houston, TX.
The responsibilities described here are representative of those tasks an employee performs to successfully complete the essential functions of this job; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all tasks that may be assigned or required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Performs handling and transporting duties as outlined in the Process Instruction for the assigned work area.
2. Changes propane tanks, charge and change batteries on fork lift trucks as required.
3. Removes scrap materials from the department as required.
4. Performs cycle counting as required.
5. Completes paperwork as required, including material transfers, receiving, scrap, and time reports, daily fork truck inspection forms and others.
6. Performs inventory transactions using computer terminals or RF devices.
7. Operates forklift, hand pallet truck, barrel lift, floor sweeper, floor scrubber, and yard truck as required.
8. Completes the fork lift truck’s daily inspection form.
9. Uses communication and mathematical skills in the performance of duties.
10. Keeps work area neat, clean, organized, and under control.
11. Observes safety rules at all times and immediately reports unsafe conditions to department supervision.
12. Is responsible for quality and safety of own work and compliance of all company procedures and policies.
• Unload and load delivery trucks.
• Verify product description, quantity and quality based upon accompanying shipping documentation.
• Accurately record and stock items while maintaining material/system integrity.
• Pick, load and move items based on work orders or other documentation.
• Drive vehicles/equipment to deliver items to stocking, staging, lay-down or specified work areas.
• Inspect and maintain storage, stocking and lay-down areas.
• Build wood pallets, crates and containers, as required, for material movement.
• Follow special handling, documentation and traceability procedures for materials with Lot Tracking designations.
• Follow directions and perform tasks as assigned by Lead and Supervisors.
• Ensure that stocking, staging and storage areas are safe and clean.
• Follow the 5S system.
The tools used, by Department, include, but may not be limited to:
• Forklift 0 – 10,000 lbs.
• Staple gun.
• Ladders and platform.
• Wrenches (Various hand wrenches).
• Pallet jack (manual or electric).
• Shrink Wrapper.
• Tape measure.
Sub-Fab and Warehouse
• Cordless electric drill.
• Air tools.
• Overhead crane.
• Strapping gun.
• Pneumatic nail gun.
• Radial Arm saw.
• Electric standup forklift
• Pickup truck.
• Flatbed truck.
• Hand wrapper.
• Steel stamps.
• Band cutters.
• Forklift operation, ability to pass an in-house certification and clean driving record, required.
• Six months to one year experience in a warehouse/shipping environment, preferred.
• Ability to work with Microsoft Office software, preferred
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as work instructions, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
• Ability to read a standard tape measure.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Sub-Fab: Ability to safely, efficiently and expeditiously use overhead cranes to move parts and materials.
Must meet the physical demands for the position including, but not limited to, the ability to:
• Stand for long periods.
• Bend, stoop, walk, kneel, crouch, carry and climb.
• Use hands and/or arms to finger, handle, feel and reach.
• Talk and hear.
• Frequently, lift and/or move 1 to 20 pounds, and occasionally, up to 50 pounds.
• Work from elevated platforms and/or ladders.
• Use specific vision faculties which include close vision, peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Accredited High School Diploma/GED
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
6926 Rivers Ave
North Charleston, SC 29406
Phone: (843) 554-5800 x181 or (800) 927-9318 x181
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.