- 184276 - Deceleration Engineer
- Chipton-Ross is seeking a Deceleration Engineer for an opening in Orlando, FL.
Aerospace or Mechanical Engineer to support the deceleration team. This team is responsible for design and analysis of the parachute systems used for air-extraction of our various launch vehicles. These air-extractions are similar in concept to standard military cargo extraction from aircraft like the C-130 or C-17A.
The successful candidate will be asked to perform parachute design activities through 6DOF simulation and loads analysis. This entails designing parachute structures, reefing ratios, riser and mainline lengths, etc. to ensure a successful extraction and descent while ensuring launch vehicle load capabilities are not exceeded. The candidate will be expected to read, understand, update, and maintain a 6 Degree-of-Freedom simulation used to simulate the extraction and descent of Client launch vehicles. This position will require a background in vector mechanics, dynamics, and software configuration control processes. The candidate may also participate in estimating aerodynamic properties and loads through the use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software.
50% - Activities to include tooling design, tooling procurement and fabrication, and conduct tooling functional checkout. Responsible for tooling design based on efficiency, ease and safety or operation, ease of maintenance and cost of fabrication. Interfaces with suppliers and manufacturing personnel to assure that tool design requirements and intent are met. Coordinate tooling functional checkout with manufacturing disciplines prior to releasing tooling to manufacturing operations.
15% - Parachute Design and Loads Analysis
40% - Parachute/Extraction System Modeling and Simulation updates
35% - Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) of Parachutes and Target System
10% - Oversee field installation and testing of Parachute design
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience working with parachute deceleration systems or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Prior experience with 6DOF simulation of deceleration systems
- Prior experience with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software
- Ability to program and use MATLAB/Simulink
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills to include report writing, requirements derivation, and documentation, as well as design review presentations
- Experience with programming in C, C++, and Fortran and using MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience working with deceleration systems
- Experience using CANO, CALA, TENSION, and/or LS-DYNA analysis tools
- Working knowledge of aircraft/missile dynamics and control
- Experience with air drops from military aircraft
Accredited B.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical, or equivalent degree
MISCELLANEOUS: Applicants responding to this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements by currently possessing the ability to view classified government information.
Employment will be contingent on clearing a drug screen and background check. Both must clear prior to start date.
420 Culver Boulevard
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
Phone: (310) 414-7800 x282 or (800) 927-9318 x282
Candidates responding to this posting must currently possess the eligibility to work in the United States. No third parties please.
Employment will be contingent on candidate clearing pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Chipton-Ross provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State or local law. This policy governs all areas of employment at Chipton-Ross, including recruiting, hiring, training, assignment, promotions, compensation, benefits, discipline, and terminations.